Santa Letters - Santa Evidence - Santa Calls

Get letters from Santa delivered by mail. Personal letters from Santa Claus in his handwriting stating exactly what you wanted for Christmas and exactly why you deserved it. Find Christmas song lyrics, Christmas recipes, History of Santa Claus, All about the Reindeer, Christmas Poems, Christmas Humor and more!

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Sweet Potato Oranges Recipe

Sweet Potato Oranges



Save 15% on Orders Over $75

"Sweet potatoes cooked in orange skins with a yummy topping! Very festive!"

PREP TIME 20 Min
COOK TIME 30 Min
READY IN 50 Min

INGREDIENTS

* 6 oranges
* 3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup orange juice
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup butter, softened, divided
* 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
* 1 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Prepare oranges by cutting tops off, 1/4 to 1/2 inch down. Spoon out the flesh, leaving a shell.
3. In a large bowl combine sweet potatoes, sugar, orange juice, eggs, vanilla extract, 1/2 cup butter and grated orange peel. Spoon mixture into orange shells. Place in a deep casserole dish.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, flour and pecans. Cook until sugar dissolves in melted butter. Spoon over oranges. Fill casserole dish with water to reach 1/2 inch in depth.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

REVIEWS

EXCELLENT! A few years ago, I watched Emeril make Bourbon Street Sweet Potatoes so I decided to try them. I never like sweet potatoes before that recipe. I must say that I think this one beats Emerils. A TIP, I had no orange juice so I cut my orange in half instead of just cutting the top off and then squeezed the juice to use and scooped the rest out for my shell. I see alot of people have complained about the time involved in the scooping, but I think if you do it the way I did, it would be much easier and quicker as you have more room to scoop. I also was able to get two servings with one orange that way. Of course the portions would be smaller, so if you really like it, go for two servings! I will definately make this again and again and certainly use it the next time I entertain! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Wonderful!! I served this Thanksgiving and had 3 recipe requests. My 5 children and a cousin that never ate, didn't like sweet potatoes, loved them and asked for more. Scooping out the oranges is a bit time consuming. A grapefruit spoon and kitchen shears help.

These were FABULOUS and IMPRESSIVE! ...my recipe "keeper" of the season. Th presentation was beautiful, and the oranges infused a bit (not too much) of orange flavoring throughout. My kids are fighing over the leftovers now! Just a hint when making: Preparing the oranges can be tedious. I started out scooping with a spoon to get the flesh out and finally resorted to using my (clean) hands to pull out all of the mushy stuff and skin inside - it went much faster. Try these - you'll love them!!! Oh, one other hint - try to cut your oranges so they are as stable as possible, otherwise the will roll over into the water (which is a shame with that yummy topping), I made these a day ahead of time (sans the topping) and refrigererated; baked and added topping when ready to cook.



Save 15% on Orders Over $75

No comments: